2. Today I started learning Q'eqchi, the Maya language at my site. It just sounds like lots of random noises. This will be interesting. Here are some examples:
- Laa'in lix Audrey ink'ab'a. = My name is Audrey.
- ixq = woman
- ha' = water
- Jo wank chik = see you later
- Inwanb'i = adios
Just some examples. And the pronunciation is nothing like you would expect! At least a fair amount of people still speak Spanish in Chahal.
3. I'm training for a half marathon in May in Coban. Finally I have a goal for my running, and finally I have a new training log (thanks mom!), so I've been much more consistent about running. It makes me ten times happier ... not that I wasn't happy, I'm just even happier now. It will be my first half marathon; the longest race I've run to date is a 10k. I won't have much training under my belt -- only about two consistent months of running, but it'll be great nonetheless. I went for my first hour + run yet this year on Sunday. It was magnificent, but I can't believe I had gone 3 months without going for an hour run! I guess I just needed a bit of a break after collegiate running.
4. My little host brother is learning to play the recorder. He knows about two lines of one song. I'm so glad I have moved out of that house because that is the worst noise ever. Granted, it is important that he learns music, but why must he play it at 10 pm when I'm trying to sleep?

No comments:
Post a Comment