04 August 2008

4 Months in Site - Oh how the time flies!

I was feeling very disillusioned at the beginning of the week. I realized that I have been in site for four full months now, and really, what have I accomplished? Peace Corps tells us that the first three months in site are to get to know the community and the project and actual activities should be minimal. But I’m past three months now. I have felt lately like an ineffective volunteer. Yet I have to remember that the process is very slow here. Nothing happens quickly. There is a reason that my service is two years long.

One of the major road blocks that I’ve had is that I can’t work by myself. I need the support of the Corporation (equivalent of the city council) and the mayor. But they don’t listen, don’t give me time and, moreover, simply don’t understand the concept of ecotourism. Times are changing though. At the end of the week we did an interchange with two well-developed ecotourism sites. It was organized for us by an NGO that helps ecotourism projects in the area. They brought all of us who are involved in the project in Las Conchas to Semuc Champey which is a park that has similar qualities to ours, and is run by a municipality. We also visited Las Cuevas (Caves) de Candelaria and went tubing inside the caves!

First off, it was awesome because, for work, I went on vacation to two beautiful places … for free. Second, the Corporation learned a lot and now understands my ideas, like an interpretive trail, and wants them as well. All in all, the trip was a huge success, I really think we’ll be able to start working now … just as soon as I come back from my vacation :) .

Although my project has been coming along slowly and I had been disenchanted with that part of my life in Chahal, that is only one part of why I’m here. Two of the three goals of Peace Corps is cultural exchange, and I am excelling in that facet. I love living in Chahal. I love the family that I am living with, and they love me. One of the sons told me the other night his mom wants her son that is in Spain to come back and for us to get married and that we can have the house together! Probably not going to happen, but it means a lot to me that she thinks that highly of me.

Well, that’s all for now. As suggested by my sister, I’m going to try to start writing shorter blogs more frequently so that it’s easier for you all to stay caught up on my life.


About Semuc Champey and some pics:

Semuc Champey is a well-developed park now, thanks in part to six years of Peace Corps Volunteers. The site's now closed for PCVs though ... they don't really need our help anymore.



These are pools of water made from springs running off the mountainside. They're not actually part of the river, just sit on top of it while the river runs underneath them in a cave!

The waterfall is the pools joining with the river as the river comes out of the cave!


That's my counterpart, Heimer, in front, plus a handful of the guys from the muni.


Sweeeeeet views from the mirador they built up on the mountainside.


1 comment:

Danya Rumore said...

Hello Gorgeous!

Thank you for the blog...I agree that short and more often is a better idea (if only I could do that myself!)

The photos make me get excited about coming to visit you! Have fun with the friends!

~D