03 December 2008

My friend, the scorpion

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be stung by a scorpion? Well, if you don’t want to go find out for yourself, I’ll describe it.

First, you may be wondering how I managed to be stung by a scorpion. They abound in this area, first off. I was moving a concrete block in my kitchen on Monday night so that we could put the stove on top of it and felt a sting on the inside of my left wrist. Luckily, it didn’t cause me to drop the block on my feet! I set it down and saw the evil thing stuck to the back of the block. I freaked out not knowing how serious the sting is. We actually were having a little party at the house that night for my housemate’s birthday, and some of the guests just laughed at me and said there’s nothing I can do. They said it would hurt where it stung me and that my tongue would fall asleep. They were right … at first.

I felt like my arm was broken. But it wasn’t unbearable. It was a couple hours later when I got up and walked around that I started feeling weak and a bit dizzy. I quickly did what I needed to do to get ready for bed and laid down. I was at the point where, if I kept on walking, I would collapse. At this point, my whole body fell asleep, but not just that. I felt very heavy. I took some Benadryl at this point, but my throat had swollen up or something, and the pills did not go down easily.

Laying flat on my back was the best, but if I rolled to a side, there would be extreme pressure on the part of my body that I had moved – like a fat man were sitting on me. So I laid as flat as possible, but I couldn’t sleep like that. I think eventually I fell asleep, but I set my alarm for 2am so that I would wake up and make sure I was still alive. I had no idea how serious this could be and thus was admittedly a bit freaked out.

In the morning I still couldn’t move. I sat up for a second and felt as if a ton of rock were pushing down on me, so I laid back down. My big problem, however, was that I needed to pee. I actually thought I would have to wet my bed because I didn’t think I could walk to the bathroom. I eventually gave it a shot and managed to shuffle there while clutching the wall. Once my body became acclimated to moving, it began to flush out this weird sensation, but not completely. I returned to bed and slept all morning. When I finally got up and went out, I moved sluggishly. However, I had been invited to play in a basketball tournament in the evening. I decided I’d give it a shot. The first couple times up and down the court I became dizzy and thought I’d collapse. Luckily, that passed quickly. I had breathing problems also – I felt as if I had just smoked a pack of cigarettes and was trying to exercise at altitude (not that I would know what that feels like). In the end, the exercise was good to flush out the poison.

Today, I feel fine, except for a sore arm. So now it’s funny, but at the time I was pretty freaked out. Now I wonder, what will bite/sting me next? I do have some wonderful luck. Dog, check. Scorpion, check. Next?? Monkey? Jaguar?


New House

I’ve been in my new house for just over three weeks now, and I’m really content with the move. As I’ve mentioned before, the house is adorable and has a flushing toilet inside. The neighbors have turned out to be quite friendly, and are both Q’eqchi’ and Ladino so that I can continue getting to know both cultures. My roommate, Jacqueline, and I are getting along really well. We make dinner together and hang out and have intelligent conversations in Spanish (which is something I was lacking here). We went and played basketball the other night. And we have our puppy, Patita. First she was Cacao, which turned out to be a masculine name; then Canela (Spanish for Cinnamon) but that was too cutesy; now I’ve named her Patita (little foot) because she had a problem with her foot. She is adorable. So very playful. I’m so glad I have her.

On Monday (as I mentioned above), we had our first little dinner party. It was Jacque’s birthday, so I made dinner and a cake and we invited a couple of people over. Although we only have one fork, it was fantastic … until I was stung by the scorpion!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

a scorpion! Yikes! I am enjoying your posts and am so glad that you are keeping us up to date. I worked with your mom for the last 4 years and miss her updates about you!

Watch for those scorpions!


Eva

Unknown said...

A jaguar would be so cool!

Unknown said...

Audrey,
where have you been all my life. i need your e-mail address. sounds like you are having all kinds of adventures. i can't believe you've been gone for so long. e-mail me...
Becky

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I can't believe you were stung by a scorpion!! Glad you're in good humor about it now. I must say, after my initial shock, I did laugh a bit at your story, primarily at the pee diliema! I'm glad you're okay and it wasn't more serious! Enjoy your time with your family! Merry Christmas!
~Lainey~ :)