... but where to begin?
Easy stuff first. Here's an address for me that will work for the rest of my time here. It's of the Peace Corps office. Eventually I'll have an address in my site... once I have a site...
Audrey Squires
Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 66
Antigua Guatemala
Sacatepequez 03001
Guatemala, Centro America
Okay, let's delve into this. My life has been completely turned upside down, and then thrown into a blender and shaken around. You could call me a milk shake, but not the kind that brings boys to the yard.
Last time I wrote I explained that I was leaving Chahal and moving to a village on the other side of the country, high up in the mountains, very different from my jungle life in Chahal. I thought it was a great idea to go for that site -- a complete change from what I had experienced. If I had to leave Chahal, why not make the most of it? What I didn't realize, is that I wasn't going to feel comfortable. Many of you know why, but I didn't feel like writing about it yet.
The thing is, I was attacked while I was running in Chahal. **I'm okay.** But I realized once I got to Chiabal, the new site, a very rural site, that I was freaked out by the isolation. I felt like people were hiding in the bushes (because that's how it happened in Chahal). I couldn't live a year like that. Thus, Peace Corps is working with me to find a place that I will be safe and comfortable in because I am not ready to be done with Guatemala, even if it is trying to get rid of me!
Within the next couple of days, I will be checking out a new possibility, which looks very promising. It's more urban, has a really pilas (gung-ho) counterpart, more volunteers are nearby. I didn't need all this before, but it seems I do now, which is okay. I'm just glad I was able to realize it and be honest with myself -- I don't always have to be as tough as I think I am.
Once it's a done deal, I'll let you all know the mystery site!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment