01 January 2010

Catching up

I have been slacking on writing lately, but for a good reason: I've been having too much fun! I finally really really love Sija and have friends there and simply no time to blog. The site change was devastating initially, and I still wish it would've never happened, but I have acclimated to Sija and am really happy there.

Right now I am back in Springfield. I've been here for almost two weeks and go back to Guatemala tomorrow. I've really enjoyed seeing my family and a handful of friends and taking advantage of a few things the States has to offer (like being to run in shorts, roller skating, and driving in a car), but I am not ready to live in this country yet. It is overwhelming and too fast-paced. I love the slow, tranquila life that I lead in Guatemala.

Just before I came home was Sija's feria which was so so so fun! I rode the crazy-fast and probably dangerous ferris wheel, ate tons of feria food (churros, cotton candy, pupusas, caliente, churrascos, etc.), played in the basketball tournament, watched the parades and convites (children and grown men dancing in the streets while dressed in costumes of cartoon characters), and went to the dances and danced my butt off!





The picture below is from the Noche Vaquera (Cowboy Night) dance. I won that t-shirt because I was tricked into a beer-chugging contest on stage in front of everyone! They needed two women to participate in a contest, so Sarah and I went up because I'm never one to turn down a competition, but they brought out two beers and said "vamos a ver quien tiene la garganta mas suave de todas." (We're going to see who has the smoothest throat of all.) So much for not drinking in town! At least I won, though.




Feria is a happy time. It made me so happy that I decided to extend my service two months! I need the extra time to make sure I can complete the sanitary landfill project and the bottle classroom, but moreover I just want to have be able to appreciate Sija now that I am really truly happy there. I don't want to rush out just as I'm getting my rhythm, like I had to do in Chahal.

The projects I mentioned are going well, but there is not much to update because during December we really didn't get much work done due to the feria and the holidays. I didn't mind though. I really enjoyed just being part of the town (and playing with my dog).

I think I'm also much happier now because I am finally running again. It took far too long to recover from my ankle sprain and I'm still not 100% but I am out there tearing it up (and feeling safe).




On top of festivities in Sija, since I last wrote I went to a delicious Thanksgiving potluck with a handful of other PCVs and I climbed Volcan Tajumulco, which was AMAZING! It is the highest point in Central America at 4220 meters (around 14,000 feet). A small group of us PCVs went and tagged along with a large-scale clean-up of the volcano -- hundreds of local people and a few dozen from other parts of Guatemala climbed up with trash bags.

We camped out in one of the craters and hiked to the peak for sunset and sunrise the next day. It was absolutely breath-taking! We were able to see the sunrise next to the chain of volcanoes! My only complaint is that it was extremely cold! We huddled around the campfire at night with our beans and avocados, but the fire just stole what little oxygen we had to breathe at such a high altitude thus resulting in painful headaches. Therefore, we had to choose between freezing and splitting headaches.











No comments: